Monday, December 9, 2013

Dear Autism Speaks.....

I am an Autistic adult, and i matter.
I was born this way, i will die this way.
Being Autistic does not make me bad,
does not make me a monster.
I have a personality, thank you.
I have a sense of humor too, thank you.
I also have compassion and empathy, and i cry
just as you do.
I am not a burden, i am not the ruination of
anyone's family or anyone's lives.
I am not a research subject
I am not a tsunami.
Just because i can type and think and talk
does not mean my Autism is high functioning
and just because somone is non-verbal
does not make them anymore deaf to
what goes on around them
they can still hear, are still well aware of 
everything
and this includes all that you say in front of them
so if you talk about them as if they are a burden
call them names such as retarded and stupid
and complain that you cannot go out to eat, shop, do this or that
or make remarks to the effect that they will never do this or that
remember, they can still hear and understand what you are saying
Knock it off....just freaking knock it off already!!
Stop hating us and fearing us and get to KNOW us
let us speak when we want to speak and blog
and vlog and tell our stories
listen when we go to our nation's capitol to 
protest your hate and intolerance of us
all we want is to be included, accepted, and loved
as the wonderful awesome human beings we are
whether someone is low or high functioning
we ALL deserve to be treated with the same respect and dignity
that you want.
Thank you.

No comments: